Last Updated December 18, 1996
Reload often to insure you are seeing the latest Making a Difference.
There is a place in Washington, D.C., where on-site medical attention, nutritious meals, and clean beds are provided, 24-hours a day to men who have no insurance, no money and often no hope of healing. More importantly, the "guests" as they are called, receive nourishment for their souls. Find out about the difference that is being made at Christ House...
To learn more about the homeless and the ways you can help combat this challenge, below we offer a small listing that reflects the diversity of the nonprofit world and invite you to Make a Difference.
Do you know an organization or service that should be listed here? Please let us know and we will add it to the list.
- American Homeless Society -- The American Homeless Society's (AHS) mission is to attack the root causes of homelessness throughout the country. The National Association and its Chapters are informal associations of homeless advocates, not organizations or "service-providers." AHS Associates cannot solicit funds on behalf of the National Association or an AHS Chapter for any purpose whatsoever, although we can encourage donors to contribute to other charities, including homeless shelters across the country.
- HomeAid-- HomeAid's mission is to build or renovate shelters for transitionally homeless men, women and children. Find out how can you help.
- International Union of Gospel Missions -- Founded in 1913, the IUGM is an association of over 250 rescue missions and faith-based charitable organizations that help the homeless, the poor, "at risk" urban youth, and alcoholics and drug addicts in inner cities throughout the world. To find out how you can help them in their mission click here, or click here, to find the IUGM in your area.
- National Coalition for the Homeless -- The National Coalition for the Homeless (NCH) is a national advocacy network of homeless persons, activists, service providers, and others committed to a single goal. That goal- our common bond and mission- is to end homelessness. Want to get involved? Find out how.
- NCH's Art and Literature Project, provides information on the project itself and how you can contribute.
- Project America, compiled by two high school students from a small town in New Jersey, this site's has goal is to break through apathy and inspire people to take action to improve their communities. At the heart of Project America is a belief in the power of the individual to make a difference. Find out how you can take action to be one of those who are making a difference.
- Real Change Homeless Newspaper, believing that sometimes it's good to feel a bit uncomfortable, this paper publishes the views of poor and homeless people and their advocates, and works to make a paper that is read by thousands of average people in Seattle. In addition they create jobs selling the paper that are flexible, independent, and immediate.
[ Return to the News ] [ Return to the Archives ]
Copyright © 1998 Villagelife.org Inc. All Rights Reserved