Some other perspectives and ideas about this week's cover story can be found at these sites:
- Fear of God Bible Study ... From an organization called Acts 17:11 that maintains that God is not just to be revered, but feared - with trembling and awe.
- Does your fear seem bigger than normal? Anxiety disorders are the most common of all the mental disorders. This brochure from the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), sheds light on the nature of anxiety disorders and their causes.
From the Discian Group
The Bible Gateway site lists 362 citations of "fear" in the Revised Standard Version of the Bible.
- Net Hate, subtitled "The Dark Side of the Net," is a product of Drummer Associates a Canadian Web design and consulting firm provides a review and links to Internet sites that are racist and revisionist. Believing that hate can best be combated by knowledge, Drummer also provides a list anti-racist sites, subtitled "Combating the Dark Side of the Net," that the organization says represents "the good guys."
- Interesting survey analysis on public perceptions of terrorism from the Pew Research Center.
- The Terrorism Research Center is a non-commercial site dedicated to the study of counter-terrorism. Comprehensive articles and links.
- The Office of International Criminal Justice provides an interesting report entitled "Terrorism: A Frightening New Perspective" as well as other links and information.
- MTV's Rock the Vote provides a provocative look at violence in our society.
- Researchers at the Office of International Justice found that "victimization from crime in the US generates $105 billion annually in property and productivity losses and outlays for medical expenses. This amounts to an annual "crime tax" of roughly $425 per man, woman, and child in the United States. When the values of pain, long-term emotional trauma, disability, and risk of death are put in dollar terms, the costs rise to $450 billion annually (or $1,800 per person)." Check out the report.
Exploring the Subject is a regular feature designed to provide an annotated list of Internet links that are related to this week's Village Life cover story. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list and links here are not an endorsement of the site or organization listed. If you think there's a site we ought to add, please send us the URL and we'll take a look at it.
[ Return to the News ] [ Return to the Archives ]
Copyright © 1998 Villagelife.org Inc. All Rights Reserved